Ohio Building Code Compliance
It is our mission to ensure fair, safe and equitable code enforcement for the structures in the unincorporated areas and contract jurisdictions within Allen County while providing quality customer service.
The Lima/ Allen County Building Department is responsible for enforcing in accordance with the Ohio Building Code and issuing Commercial Building Permits within the unincorporated townships of Allen County and four contract jurisdictions, including Beaverdam, Elida, Harrod and Lafayette. For the building permit process, the department coordinates the approvals required for the issuance of the building permit and the inspections that are required by the various agencies before the Certificate of Occupancy or a Certificate of Completion can be issued. Residential one-, two- and three-family dwellings within the City of Lima Corporation Limits "only" are enforced in accordance with Residential Code of Ohio and issuance of the appropriate permits.
M-F 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Inspectors are generally in the office between 8:00 a.m. to 9:00 a.m.
Requesting Inspections & Scheduling Meetings
Department staff are available in person, by phone and by email for conferences on code issues. Meetings can easily be arranged with the various agencies involved in the permit process if requested. Email the Building Department with a question or concern.
CONTRACTOR DESIGN, CODE & PERMITTING INFORMATION
To register as a Contractor within the City of Lima, the following requirements shall be met:
1. A copy of a valid, un-expired State of Ohio contractors License (HVAC, Electrical, Etc). This requirement does not apply to building contractors.
2. Certificate of Liability Insurance in the amount of $300,000.00 listing the City of Lima as the holder of the certificate.
3. Copy of Workers Compensations Certificate.
4. Registration with the City of Lima Tax Department.
5. Completed Application.
6. Payment of a 50.00 (per trade) non-refundable
For Information, permits, forms and policies regarding ONE, TWO and THREE FAMILY DWELLINGS, view Residential Information
All required permit approvals and inspections are tracked on the department's Franklin Information Systems software. Zoning Certificates from the local zoning authority are required before an application for a building permit can be approved. Anyone applying for a building permit may contact the department for help at the beginning of the process. The web based services accessible through Franklin Information Systems include:
- Request an inspection on your permit
- View inspection on your permit
- View lot/address information
- View permit information
- View plan review information
- View address information
- Enter an Application for Garage Sale
Apply for Garage Sale Permit
How the on-line Garage Sale Permit process works:
- Apply for a Garage Sale Permit.
- There is an overview of the terms for our customers to read and understand.
- Our customer/s may search for address by entering: the House Number and Street Name or Lot Number or Property Owner Name or Parcel ID.
- Customer/s will need to fill in the required information, select start and end date and submit application.
- Application will be reviewed and upon approval the permit will be emailed to the customer. The customer will also receive an email if the application is not approved.
The application will need to be submitted two business days prior to the sale to allow time for processing.
There is no charge to our customers for the On-line Garage Sales application and permit. Applications will continue to be accepted in the Building and Zoning office and the current permit fee of five dollars will apply.
Fire Protection System Inspections
In collaboration with area Fire Chiefs, the City of Lima has developed guidelines for the inspection of Fire Protection Systems.
Additional Building and Permit Information
- City of Lima Developers Guide
- Special Inspections Required by Ohio Building Code
- Lima-Allen County Building Department Contact Information
- City of Lima Demolition Specifications
- Garage Sale Permits
- Ohio Building Code Reference Library
- Permitting and Inspection Process Information
- Site Development Plan Review
- DCD Land Bank Information